If you’re traveling this summer, make sure you scroll down for 10 home security tips you don’t want to miss. But first, it’s “summer in the city”, so let’s see how hot the Vienna & Oakton real estate markets are!
- With less than a 3 month supply of homes in Vienna and less than 2 months in Oakton, both areas remain in a Seller’s Market.
- Inventory in Vienna dropped 3% this week to 216 homes on the market. Inventory in Oakton also dropped slightly, to 82 homes.
- Contracts remained steady, but we also are seeing a variation in contract rates based on price range. This past week, out of 28 homes that went under contract, only 4 were listed above $770,000.
- The 4 higher priced homes averaged 85 days on the market, while the remaining 24 homes averaged only 63 days.
- Homes in the lower price ranges are still often selling in two weeks or less and/or are receiving multiple offers.
Conclusion: Vienna real estate and Oakton real estate is still HOT!
Last week in Vienna Real Estate (22180,22181, 22182):
- Number of Contracts: 18
- Average Days on Market for Active Listings: 96 days
- Average Days on Market for Listings That Went Under Contract: 65 days
- Inventory: 216 homes on the market
- Number of Months Supply of Homes (Based on past 90 day contract rate): 2.35 months
- Number of Months Supply of Homes (Based on past 30 day contract rate): 2.5 months
- Search all Vienna homes for sale
Last week in Oakton Real Estate (22124):
- Number of Contracts: 10
- Average Days on Market for Active Listings: 83 days
- Average Days on Market for Listings That Went Under Contract: 68
- Inventory: 82 homes on the market
- Number of Months Supply of Homes (Based on past 90 day contract rate): 2.5 months
- Number of Months Supply of Homes (Based on past 30 day contract rate): 1.95 months
- Seach all Oakton homes for sale
Request a FREE WRITTEN REPORT of your home’s value, set up FREE LISTING ALERTS so you can find out about new listings daily or ask to join our FREE PRIORITY NOTIFICATION LIST for special buying opportunities that are not in the MLS or on the Internet. In a market like this, don’t you want to know about homes BEFORE they hit the market?
10 HOME SECURITY TIPS FOR SUMMER
Remember that old song by Lovin Spoonful, “Summer In the City“?
Well – it’s about that time. Summer means travel time. And whether it’s beach or mountains, college visits or visiting family – you need to be smart about home security. Here are a few tips:
(1) Be careful with your status updates on Twitter, Facebook, etc. Don’t be too specific. For example: “Can’t wait to see Grandma & Grandpa” might be better than “Leaving for Ohio in 2 hours. Back on Sunday.”
(2) If you still have a newspaper delivered instead of reading online, make sure you suspend delivery. And ask a neighbor to pick up any of the free “throw away” papers that may be dropped in your driveway while you’re away.
(3) Take advantage of the “nosy neighbors” you have (assuming you trust them!). Ask them to keep an eye out while you are away. Make sure they know how to reach you in case of an emergency.
(4) Think twice about setting up an auto-responder or voice mail message that says you are out of town – expecially if you work from a home office. A better idea might be to just say you are not checking messages until a certain date (as if you’re taking a “Stay-Cation”.)
(5) Set up timers on certain lights in your house. Install motion detector lights outdoors.
(6) Don’t forget to lock the interior garage door (windows too!). Exterior doors are relatively easy to compromise.
(7) Stop your mail. Or have a neighbor collect it daily.
(8) Don’t publish your physical address or personal information on your social media profiles on LinkedIn, Facebook, etc. It’s amazing how many people advertise their birthdate, home address and more – just because the site asked you to fill it in when you set up your account. It’s not just children who do this, but many adults who are new to the world of social media are guilty of this as well. Even if your site is “friend-protected”, you’d be surprised at what web-savvy folks can find out. Be discreet!
(9) Check out this great tip from Vienna Patch about Vienna Police Department House Check forms!
(10) You can always employ the tactics of Kevin McAllister in “Home Alone“!